- Today in 1978, “Here You Come Again” was certified as Dolly Parton’s first gold single.
- Today in 1980, the album, “A Christmas Together,” by John Denver & The Muppets was certified gold and platinum.
- Today in 1981, Alabama’s “Feels So Right” album by was released.
- Today in 1983, the “We’ve Got Tonight” album by Kenny Rogers was released.
- Today in 1991, Mark Chesnutt scored his first #1 hit with his “Brother Jukebox” single.
- Today in 1992, Pam Tillis was #1 on the charts with the single, “Maybe It Was Memphis.”
- Today in 1992, Doug Stone’s “A Jukebox With A Country Song” blasts into the #1 position on the Billboard country singles lis
- Today in 1993, Reba McEntire made a guest appearance on the CBS-TV sitcom, “Evening Shade,” starring Burt Reynolds.
- Today in 1994, Ricky Van Shelton’s “A Bridge I Didn’t Burn” album was certified gold.
- Today in 1994, the album, “What A Crying Shame,” by the Mavericks was released.
- Today in 1995, the “Best Of Vince Gill” album was certified platinum.
- Today in 1998, Tim McGraw was #1 on the charts with “Just to See You Smile.”
- Today in 2000, the Elvis Presley Gospel Treasury album was certified gold.
- Today in 2001, Kenny Rogers’ album, “Endless Love (20 Greatest Love Songs),” maintained the #1 position on the official Swedish album charts for the second week in a row (these charts are based on sales). Incidentally, Kenny had also dislodged the Beatles album, “1,” which held the top spot for 8 weeks.
- Today in 2001, Brooks & Dunn announced that Toby Keith, Montgomery Gentry and keith urban would be joining them on the road for the inaugural “Neon Circus & Wild West Show” tour.
- Today in 2001, Brooks & Dunn announced that Toby Keith, Montgomery Gentry and Keith Urban would be joining them on the road for the inaugural “Neon Circus & Wild West Show” tour.
- Today in 2002, Kenny Chesney kicked off his “No Shirt, No Shoes, No Problems” tour in West Palm Beach, Florida in front of a crowd of 11,000. He was so excited about tour launch that he split the crotch of his pants – literally! An embarrassed Kenny laughed, quote, “I split my pants – it’s a good thing I remembered to wear underwear.”
- Today in 2004, Toby Keith and Willie Nelson joined Aerosmith in the pre-game show for Super Bowl XXXVIII at Houston’s Reliant Stadium, as the New England Patriots defeated the Carolina Panthers, 32-29. Kid Rock appeared at halftime. Also attending: Rascal Flatts.
- Today in 2009, Faith Hill sang “America, The Beautiful” before the Super Bowl at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, with Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band playing halftime. Pittsburgh beat Arizona, 27-23.
- Today in 2011, Miranda Lambert nabbed seven nominations in the 46th annual Academy of Country Music Awards, making her the leading contender.
- Today in 2014, Keith Urban brought out a couple surprise guests during his show at Nashville’s Bridgestone Arena: Eric Church joined him on “Raise ‘Em Up,” and Peter Frampton helped out on a Beatles song, “Get Back.”
- Today in 2017, Sam Hunt’s “Body Like A Back Road” hit the airwaves.
THIS DAY IN COUNTRY MUSIC HISTORY
Stay updated, sign up for our newsletter.
Thanks for signing up!