- Today in 1972, the “Kiss An Angel Good Mornin'” single by Charley Pride was certified gold.
- Today in 1975, Conway Twitty’s “Linda On My Mind” hit the top fo the Billboard country chart.
- Today in 1980, Willie Nelson’s single, “My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys,” topped the charts.
- Today in 1982, the single, “Elvira,” by Oak Ridge Boys was certified platinum.
- Today in 1984, Ricky Skaggs and his wife, Sharon, welcomed their daughter, Molly Kate into the world.
- Today in 1991, Dolly Parton’s “Eagle When She Flies” album was released.
- Today in 1991, the “Love Can Build A Bridge” album by the Judds was certified gold.
- Today in 1993, the “Best Of Vince Gill” album was certified gold.
- Today in 1994, Suzy Bogguss’ “Greatest Hits” album was released.
- Today in 1996, Garth Brooks’ self-titled debut album was certified for sales of 7-million copies. On the same day, he topped the charts with his single, “The Beaches of Cheyenne.”
- Today in 1999, at the Academy of Country Music’s “Hat” awards, Faith Hill earned six nominations. Garth Brooks, Steve Wariner, and Brooks & Dunn each got four.
- Today in 2001, “Playboy” magazine readers had something other than nude women to look at when the publication released the results of its annual Music Poll. While recent years may have seen a surge in teen pop groups, country music has always maintained a presence. Readers dubbed Faith Hill and Tim McGraw’s “Soul 2 Soul” tour the Concert of the Year and they won Female Country Vocalist and Male Country Vocalist, respectively. Plus, Faith’s award winning album, “Breathe,” scored Country CD of the Year and the Dixie Chicks rounded out the country awards being dubbed Country Group of the Year.
- Today in 2003, Emerson Drive’s Pat Allingham married his longtime girlfriend, Krista Williamson.
- Today in 2003, CMT’s “Most Wanted Live” featured the premiere of Daryl Worley’s video “Have You Forgotten?”
- Today in 2006, at the Academy of Country Music Awards, Brad Paisley was nominated six times, Brooks & Dunn and Sugarland were each nominated five times, and Rascal Flatts and Carrie Underwood four times.
- Today in 2007, Carrie Underwood sang “Wasted” on “American Idol.”
- Today in 2011, Sara Evans released her new album, “Stronger.”
- Today in 2015, Rascal Flatts performed the national anthem before the Kobalt 400 at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway (Kevin Harvick won the race).
- Today in 2015, RaeLynn kicks off a weeklong Music In Our Schools tour with a performance at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida.
- Today in 2017, Jaren Johnston left the stage during The Cadillac Three’s show at the Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver, British Columbia, to deal with a male fan who’s abusing a woman…he broke his guitar in the process.
THIS DAY IN COUNTRY MUSIC HISTORY
Stay updated, sign up for our newsletter.
Thanks for signing up!