TAG SEARCH RESULTS FOR: ""

Parents can’t delete what kids tell Amazon voice assistant

By MATT O’BRIEN

Amazon met with skepticism from some privacy advocates and members of Congress last year when it introduced its first kid-oriented voice assistant , along with brightly colored models of its Echo Dot speaker designed for children.

Now those advocates say the kids’ version of Amazon’s Alexa won’t forget what children tell it, even after parents try to delete the conversations. For that and other alleged privacy flaws they found while testing the service, they’re now asking the Federal Trade Commission on Thursday to investigate whether it violates children’s privacy laws.

“These are children talking in their own homes about anything and everything,” said Josh Golin, who directs the Campaign for a Commercial Free Childhood. “Why is Amazon keeping these voice recordings?”

A coalition of groups led by Golin’s organization and Georgetown University’s Institute for Public Representation is filing a formal complaint with the FTC alleging that Amazon is violating the federal Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, known as COPPA, by holding onto a child’s personal information longer than is reasonably necessary.

Amazon said in a statement that its Echo Dot Kids Edition is compliant with COPPA.

In one example the advocates captured on video, a child asks the device to remember some personal information, including her walnut allergy.

An adult later tries to delete all that information, which includes the voice recordings and written transcripts associated with them. But then, when the child asks what Alexa remembers, it still recalls that she’s allergic to walnuts.

“This suggests that Amazon has designed the Echo Dot Kids Edition so that it can never forget what the child has said to it,” the complaint says.

It also says that about 85{99cd714f394079a7f0ed2eb1518dd31342ff3ceb5b6c267c3ad8acd5b5a7d66b} of the more than 2,000 games, quizzes and other Alexa “skills” aimed at kids did not have privacy policies posted. Such skills are generally produced by independent software developers or other third parties, not Amazon.

It’s unclear whether the FTC will take up the complaint, since its investigations are rarely public. But the agency has been enforcing children’s privacy rules more seriously in the past year, said Allison Fitzpatrick, a lawyer who helps companies comply with COPPA requirements and was not involved in the complaint.

That was the case earlier this week, when the agency issued a warning to a Ukrainian firm that its three dating apps appeared to violate COPPA because they were accessible to children, which led Google and Apple to pull them from their app stores. Earlier this year, the FTC imposed a $5.7 million fine on popular video-sharing app TikTok, the largest COPPA-related penalty since the law was enacted two decades ago.

For the FTC to take notice, however, Fitzpatrick said there usually needs to be evidence of “real, actual harm,” not just the theoretical harm she said advocacy groups often outline.

But Fitzpatrick said that, on their face, the new allegations against Amazon appear troubling. She said the FTC provides an exemption that enables a business to collect a child’s voice recording without parental consent, but that’s only for a temporary and specific purpose — such as to perform an online search or fulfill a verbal command.

__

AP Business Writer Joseph Pisani contributed to this report.

Stamp Out Hunger Saturday

Mail carriers will be picking up more than letters on Saturday (5/11).  That’s when the 27th annual Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive takes place.  The National Association of Letter Carriers is asking you to leave out a non-perishable food item outside your mailbox Saturday morning.  Kristy Anderson with the US Postal Service has more.

“You can put it in anything and just set it out by your mailbox or outside your door if your box is on your house.  Just anything non-perishable….(donations) stay within the community.  It’s something that we really, really enjoy to do for our customers that are struggling because hunger is such a huge, huge problem in the state.”

Anderson says they’re looking for canned items and boxed items that you’d find in a grocery store.  If you use a post office box for your mail, Anderson says you can drop off a food item at your local post office.  Stamp Out Hunger is the largest one day food drive in the nation.

Mollie Tibbetts remembered

Mollie Tibbetts would have turned 21 Wednesday (5/9).  You’ll remember she was murdered last July in her hometown of Brooklyn.  On Wednesday, Mollie’s friends and family turned out in Brooklyn to remember her and raise awareness of several worthy causes.  Mollie’s cousin, Morgan Collum, talks about one cause: renovating the Brooklyn Opera House.

“They’re trying to encourage everyone to donate $21 in order to help restore our opera house.  It’s been in our community for many, many years, since way before I was born.  And because of Mollie’s love for the arts; she was very involved in speech and choir, things of that nature, plays.  My Aunt Laura, who’s Mollie’s Mom, thought that it would be a wonderful opportunity to pay legacy to Mollie by having people donate their money to help restore this building.”

You can make a donation for the Brooklyn Opera House at www.givetoIowa. org/Mollie. There’s also an effort to find missing people called Mollie’s Movement.  There are t-shirts and other items on sale to fund this.  There’s more information at Mollie’sMovement.com.  Also on Wednesday, several restaurants in Brooklyn, Grinnell and Iowa City donated ten percent of the day’s proceeds to the University of Iowa Hospital’s children’s psychiatric unit.  Collum says Mollie wanted to be a child psychiatrist.

State track qualifying Thursday

Thursday (5/9) is going to be a busy day in high school sports.  Regional track and field meets take place where boys and girls can qualify for the state track meet.  Oskaloosa and Knoxville will be in a Class 3A qualifier at Dallas Center-Grimes, while Pella and Newton are at a 3A regional in Gilbert and Grinnell travels to Benton Community for a 3A qualifier.  Sigourney hosts a Class 1A region meet with North Mahaska, Tri-County, Montezuma, Sigourney, Keota, Pekin and Lynville-Sully among the competitors.  And EBF hosts a Class 2A region meet, with Albia, EBF, Pella Christian, PCM and Chariton among the competitors.  Ottumwa’s track teams travel to Iowa City High School for a 4A regional.

Knowing who qualifies for state track is complicated.  In Classes 3A and 2A, the top two in each event at regionals qualify….along with the next eight from around the state.  In 1A, it’s the region champions who qualify with the next 14 statewide.  And in Class 4A, the top two in each event plus the next 12 overall from around the state qualify for the state track meet May 16 through 18.

Alliant Energy to Hold Public Meeting Regarding proposed Rate Hike

There’s going to be a public hearing Wednesday night (5/8) in Ottumwa about a proposal by Alliant Electric to raise your electric and natural gas rates.  Alliant has proposed raising the base rate for residential electric customers by almost 25 percent and the base rate for natural gas customers by 25 percent—starting in 2020.  The public hearing starts at 6pm Wednesday at the Bridge View Center in Ottumwa.

Fake money at Pella’s Tulip Time

A student at Central College is accused of spending fake money at Pella’s Tulip Time Festival.  Pella Police say 20-year-old Skylar Carlson of Oregon, Illinois was arrested last Friday (5/3) and charged with forgery, money laundering and fourth degree theft.  According to police reports, vendors reported getting 13 counterfeit bills valued at over $200.  A search of Carlson turned up about $380 in funny money; then a search of his apartment turned up another $480 in counterfeit bills.  Carlson is free on bond; he has a court appearance Thursday morning (5/9) in Marion County.

High school golf & tennis postponed

Mother Nature said no.  Wednesday’s (5/8) scheduled boys’ high school section golf meet will now be held Thursday (5/9) at Amana Colonies.  The top two teams and top two individuals from teams that don’t qualify will advance to the district meet.  And the 1A district tennis meet scheduled for Wednesday in Knoxville has been pushed back to Friday (5/10) because of expected bad weather.

Students kill classmate, injure 8 at school near Columbine

By KATHLEEN FOODY and P. SOLOMON BANDA

HIGHLANDS RANCH, Colo. (AP) — Two high school students shot and killed a classmate and injured eight others at a charter school in a Colorado community that just weeks ago marked the 20th anniversary of one of the nation’s worst school shootings.

That Tuesday afternoon’s attack at STEM School Highlands Ranch happened just miles from Columbine High School was sure to raise questions about whether it was inspired by the 1999 massacre, but the answer was not immediately clear.

Douglas County sheriff’s officials said Devon Erickson, 18, and a younger student walked into the STEM School Highlands Ranch through an entrance without metal detectors and opened fire with two handguns on students in two classrooms.

As gunfire echoed through the school, students hid or ran through the halls, some shouting.

“No one really knew what was going on so I didn’t know they were bullets,” said seventh-grader Sophia Marks. “I just kind of saw like flashes and we heard bangs.”

Student Nui Giasolli told NBC’s “Today” show she was in her British Literature class when Erickson came in late.

“He walked to the other side of the classroom where we also had another door and he opened the door. He walked back as if he was going to go back to his seat, then he walked back to the door and he closed it. The next thing I know he’s pulling a gun and he’s telling nobody to move,” she said Wednesday.

Giasolli said another student lunged at the shooter, giving the other students time to dive under the desks and flee to safety.

At least one student encountered the suspects during the shooting, Sheriff Tony Spurlock said. He did not elaborate.

“We’re going to hear about very heroic things that have taken place at the school,” Spurlock said.

He declined to identify the student who was shot and killed at the school.

Within minutes, deputies at a nearby sheriff’s department substation entered the school and arrested the two suspects without exchanging gunfire. One of the suspects was detained by the school’s security guard, Spurlock said.

Both suspects were students at the school and they were not previously known to authorities, Spurlock said.

Josh Dutton, 18, told The Associated Press that he was close friends with Devon Erickson in middle school but hadn’t seen him for four years as he went to a different high school. On Sunday, he spotted Erickson at a local light rail station and said he was shocked at how much his friend had changed.

Erickson wore all black, a hat and sunglasses, was significantly skinnier and didn’t seem interested in talking. “He said he’d just turned 18 and he owned rifles,” Dutton said.

A message left at a phone number listed for Erickson’s home was not immediately returned. He was scheduled to make an initial court appearance Wednesday afternoon.

It was not immediately clear when the younger suspect, who has not been identified, would appear in court.

The shooting took place exactly a week after a gunman killed two students and wounded four at the University of North Carolina-Charlotte. It also comes nearly three weeks after neighboring Littleton marked the grim 20th anniversary of the Columbine school massacre that killed 13 people. The two schools are separated by about 7 miles (11 kilometers) in adjacent communities south of Denver.

“Tragically, this community and those surrounding it know all too well these hateful and horrible acts of violence,” White House spokesman Judd Deere said in a statement. President Donald Trump had been briefed on the shooting and was in touch with state and local officials, Deere said.

“The heart of all Colorado is with the victims and their families,” Gov. Jared Polis said in a statement.

STEM is a public charter school with a focus on science, technology, engineering and math. It has more than 1,850 students in kindergarten through 12th grade.

As the gunfire rang out, students ran through the halls shouting “School shooter!” Some wondered at first if it was a joke or a drill.

Chris Elledge, 15, said his teacher told the class to hide behind weight equipment in the room, where they stayed until police arrived.

“They busted in the room, and they were asking if there was any suspects in the room, if we were OK, and they escorted us out to go out to the front of the building,” Elledge said.

Frantic parents used their cellphones to find their children as news of the shooting spread. Sophia Marks’ mother, Sara Marks, said she has two other children who also go to the school.

“When you have no idea what’s going on and the children are texting you that they’re hiding under a desk and bullets are hitting their window, or things are hitting their window, it’s a horrible feeling,” she said.

Three hospitals reported treating eight people in connection with the attack. Five had been released by Wednesday morning, Spurlock said.

Fernando Montoya told television station KMGH that his 17-year-old son was shot three times but was expected to make a full recovery.

“Thank God he is fine,” Montoya said. “Even though he got shot, he’s OK. He’s going to walk out on his feet, so I’m glad. We’re so lucky.”

___

AP writer Nicholas Riccardi contributed to this report.

Osky’s Rockhold wins LHC golf

Oskaloosa’s Hogan Rockhold is 2019 Little Hawkeye Conference golf champion.  Rockhold took individual honors Monday (5/6) at the Conference meet at Indianola after shooting a two over par 73 and then winning the first hole of a playoff with Derek Shanno of Dallas Center-Grimes.  In the team competition, Pella and Norwalk tied for first with Oskaloosa fourth.  Now the Indians compete at the section meet Wednesday (5/8) in Amana.

San Francisco to join list of those banning cashless stores

By JANIE HAR

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — San Francisco is about to require brick-and-mortar retailers to take cash as payment, joining Philadelphia and New Jersey in banning a growing paperless practice that critics say discriminates against low-income people who may not have access to credit cards.

The Board of Supervisors will take up the issue at a meeting Tuesday, and it’s likely to pass because nearly all 11 members are listed as sponsors or co-sponsors.

“I just felt it wasn’t fair that if someone wanted to buy a sandwich in a store, and they had cash, that they would be turned away,” said Supervisor Vallie Brown, who introduced the legislation. “We also have our homeless population. They’re not banked.”

In many ways, the legislation is an easy call for San Francisco officials, who strive to make life more equitable in a city with an enormous wealth gap.

High-paid tech workers who flocked to San Francisco to work for Facebook, Google, Uber and Airbnb may like the ease of paying by credit card, debit card or smartphone. But many low-income people, including more than 4,000 who sleep on San Francisco’s streets every night, likely don’t have money to sustain bank accounts.

According to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, 17 percent of African American households and 15 percent of Latino households had no bank account.

Some people also prefer to use cash because they don’t want to leave a digital trail of where they have been and what they have bought.

San Francisco’s legislation requires brick-and-mortar businesses to accept cash for goods and some services. Temporary pop-up stores and internet-only businesses such as ride-hailing companies would be exempt, as would food trucks, which say they lack the resources to handle cash.

Philadelphia and New Jersey passed similar laws this year. Legislation requiring merchants to accept cash also has been introduced in New York City.

The efforts come after the rollout last year of cashless Amazon Go stores, which require customers to scan an app to enter. Whatever items customers take are automatically tallied in a virtual cart and the total charged to a credit card. The retail giant bowed to pressure and agreed to accept cash at more than 30 cashless stores last month, though it has not said when the change will happen.

Though plenty of cheap dim sum spots, taquerias and dive bars take only cash, some retailers argue that not taking cash is safer and more efficient.

Cashless restaurants are clustered in San Francisco’s Financial District and South of Market neighborhoods, where white-collar employees devour upscale salads and protein bowls.

Those now refusing paper money include Bluestone Lane, a New York-based coffee chain, and The Organic Coup, which sells organic fast-food chicken. At Freshroll Vietnamese Rolls & Bowls, which has several lunch spots downtown, signs remind customers of its no-cash policy.

Andy Stone, vice president of brand marketing at Bluestone Lane, said the company “will always comply with the laws of jurisdictions where we operate” and is awaiting the vote.

The other companies did not respond to requests for comment from The Associated Press.

Some businesses appear to be getting on board as the backlash grows.

Salad chain Sweetgreen announced last month that it will accept cash at all its restaurants by year’s end, saying going cashless “had the unintended consequence of excluding those who prefer to pay or can only pay with cash.”

The San Francisco Chamber of Commerce did not take a position on the proposal.

NEWSLETTER

Stay updated, sign up for our newsletter.