One of three people awaiting trial for a shootout with Ottumwa Police last August has made a plea deal. 36-year-old Tiffany McNeal pleaded guilty in Wapello County Court Monday (7/29) to one count of second degree burglary and two counts of willful injury causing bodily injury. She had been charged with attempted murder. McNeal was one of four people involved in a robbery gone bad on August 3 of last year. She admits to helping Dalton Cook, Roy White and Michael Bibby rob a house on Lillian Street. White was killed in an ensuing shootout with police. Cook and Bibby will go on trial in January for attempted murder and other charges.
TAG SEARCH RESULTS FOR: ""
All-Conference and All-District baseball honors
With the high school baseball season winding down, it’s time to hand out awards. Four Oskaloosa Indians were first team Little Hawkeye Conference picks. Junior outfielder Tyler Miller was a unanimous first team choice. He’s joined by teammates senior pitcher Rian Yates, junior first baseman Colton Butler and junior utility player Noah Van Veldhuizen. Pella Christian infielder Will Dembski and Grinnell utility man Jake Hull were also unanimous first team all-conference choices. Other first team all-conference players from the area are Grinnell catcher Jayden Gibson and Pella outfielder Gabe Thomas. Meanwhile, Oskaloosa outfielder Wyatt Krier earned a spot on the all-conference second team with Indians catcher Charlie North and utility man Cole Kraber getting honorable mention.
And checking the Class 3A All-Central District team, Oskaloosa outfielder Tyler Miller and utility man Colton Butler are on the All-District first team….along with Grinnell pitcher Jayden Gibson and shortstop Jake Hull and Pella outfielder Gabe Thomas. Osky pitcher Rian Yates, third baseman Noah Van Veldhuizen and outfielder Wyatt Krier are on the All-District second team…..along with Grinnell pitcher Drew Coffman and catcher Colin Gibson and Knoxville outfielder Mike Hudson.
Vote Tuesday will kick off sports betting era
Sports gambling will take the final step toward becoming reality Tuesday during a special meeting of the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission.
Commission administrator Brian Ohorilko says the regulators will take a vote on the emergency rules. “This is the same package that was commented on back on July 11th. There were a few changes made as a result of those comments and public input. The package continues to evolve, and at this point it will be considered for emergency adoption,” Ohorilko says.
The only comments at that July 11th public hearing were from gambling and sports betting representatives, as there wre no comments from the general public. He says the emergency adoption allows things to be set in motion.
“The commission will need to go through the standard rule-making process before anything will be in final form. And so, it’s reasonable to expect that the package that’s being voted on Tuesday could changes as the rules go through the normal process,” Ohorilko says.
Ohorilko says the earliest Iowa’s 19 casinos could take bets would be the middle of next month. “On this emergency package — there is language indicating that the rules would be effective July 30th — with wagering and contests beginning no earlier than on August 15th at noon,”according to Ohorilko.
The casinos can offer on-line wagering and or take sports bets at their facilities. He says the casinos have been rapidly working to build the sports book areas, but some may not be ready right at the deadline. “We know one will not be ready for sure and then it will depend on the others in terms of how the construction is coming along and if they’re ready to go at each of the sites,” he says.
Ohorilko says most of the casinos are shooting for an opening of their on-site sports betting parlors near the end of next month.
“I think the goal for most of the properties is to be up and running before football season,” Ohorilko says. “And so, the August 15th date isn’t really maybe as critical for those companies. Although those that are ready to go on that date will be able to dip their toe in the water a bit and start accepting wagers on baseball and other sports.”
The casinos can create their own betting apps, or team with a company that will provide them. Ohorilko says the apps include the ability to know the user’s location, and the online betting will not work unless the geolocation provider can identify that the person is located within the state of Iowa.
The special meeting Tuesday is at 10 a.m. at the Drury Inn and Suites in West Des Moines.
Gunman kills 2 kids, 1 other at Gilroy, California, festival
By KATHLEEN RONAYNE
GILROY, Calif. (AP) — Authorities on Monday were searching for answers to why a 19-year-old opened fire on a popular food festival less than a mile from his parents’ home in California, killing two children and another young man, but believe many more people would have died if officers patrolling the event had not stopped the gunman so quickly.
Santino William Legan, 19, cut through a fence and appeared to randomly target people with an “assault-type rifle” Sunday afternoon, the end of the three-day Gilroy Garlic Festival that attracts about 100,000 people to the city known as the “Garlic Capital of the World,” Gilroy Police Chief Scot Smithee said.
Police responded in less than a minute, and Legan turned his “AK-47-type” gun on them, Smithee said. Three officers fired back and killed Legan, who legally purchased the weapon this month in Nevada, where his last address is listed.
“I can’t tell you how proud I am of the officers who were able to engage this guy as quickly as they did,” the police chief said. “We had thousands of people there. It could have gone so much worse so fast. … There absolutely would have been more bloodshed.”
Legan’s motive wasn’t known, Smithee said. Legan posted two photos on Instagram not long before the attack that injured 12 other people.
Legan’s since-deleted Instagram account says he is Italian and Iranian. Minutes before the shooting, he had posted a photo from the festival saying, “Ayyy garlic festival time” and “come get wasted on overpriced (stuff).”
The festival in the agricultural city of 50,000 about 80 miles (176 kilometers) southeast of San Francisco had security that required people to pass through metal detectors and have their bags searched.
The shooter sneaked in through a fence that borders a parking lot next to a creek, Smithee said, and the gunfire sent panicked people running away and diving for cover under tables and a concert stage.
Some witnesses reported a second suspect, Smithee said, but it was unclear whether that person was armed or just helped in some way. A manhunt stretched into Monday.
The shooting killed 6-year-old Stephen Romero, a 13-year-old girl and recent college graduate Trevor Irby, who was in his 20s, authorities and family said.
“My son had his whole life to live, and he was only 6,” Alberto Romero told San Francisco Bay Area news station KNTV. “That’s all I can say.”
The boy’s grandmother, Maribel Romero, told Los Angeles station KABC-TV that she searched several hospitals before learning he had died. She said Stephen was “always kind, happy and, you know, playful.”
Keuka College said Irby was a biology major who graduated in 2017 from the school in upstate New York.
Officials didn’t release the name of the girl who died. The wounded were taken to multiple hospitals, and their conditions ranged from fair to critical, with some undergoing surgery. At least five have been released.
Police searched the two-story home of Legan’s family less than a mile from the garlic festival and a dusty car parked outside before leaving the house Monday with paper bags and what appeared to be other evidence.
Jan Dickson, a neighbor across the street, said Santino Legan had not lived there for at least a year and that SWAT officers came to the home Sunday night. She called the Legans “a nice, normal family.”
“How do you cope with this? They have to deal with the fact that their son did this terrible thing and that he died,” Dickson said.
The Gilroy Garlic Festival features food, cooking contests and music and is a decades-old staple in the city. Authorities said police, paramedics and firefighters were stationed throughout the event.
The band TinMan was starting an encore Sunday when the shooting started. Singer Jack van Breen said he saw a man wearing a green shirt and grayish handkerchief around his neck fire into the food area.
Van Breen, from nearby Santa Clara, said he heard someone shout: “Why are you doing this?” The reply: “Because I’m really angry.”
The audience began screaming and running, and the five members of the band and others dove under the stage.
Donna Carlson of Reno, Nevada, was helping a friend at a jewelry booth when “all of a sudden it was pop, pop, pop. And I said, ‘I sure hope that’s fireworks.’” She got on her hands and knees and hid behind a table until police told her it was safe to leave.
President Donald Trump condemned the “wicked murderer.”
“We express our deepest sadness and sorrow for the families who lost a precious loved one in the horrific shooting last night in Gilroy, California,” Trump said before an event at the White House.
In a tweet, California Gov. Gavin Newsom called the bloodshed “nothing short of horrific” and said he was grateful for the police response.
Video posted to social media showed people running in terror as shots rang out.
Evenny Reyes, 13, of Gilroy told the Mercury News in San Jose that she spent the day at the festival with her friends and relatives.
“We were just leaving and we saw a guy with a bandanna wrapped around his leg because he got shot. And there were people on the ground, crying,” Reyes said. “There was a little kid hurt on the ground. People were throwing tables and cutting fences to get out.”
Reyes said that she didn’t run at first because the gunshots sounded like fireworks.
“It started going for five minutes, maybe three. It was like the movies — everyone was crying, people were screaming,” she said.
___
Associated Press reporter Mike Balsamo in Washington and Martha Mendoza in Gilroy contributed to this report.
St. Joseph’s demolition resumes
Demolition of an Ottumwa hospital has resumed. Work to tear down St. Joseph’s Hospital began a year ago, but was put on hold for several months after a dispute between real estate developer Blackbird Investments and the company hired for the demolition. A new demolition team has been hired and work at the St. Joseph’s site has resumed. Blackbird says it plans to build homes and townhouses where the hospital once stood.
Ritenour trial moved again–to Mount Pleasant
The new trial for an Oskaloosa woman accused of killing her two-year-old daughter has been moved again. Now Alicia Ritenour’s trial will be held in Mount Pleasant in September. You’ll remember Ritenour was convicted in 2014 of first degree murder and child endangerment resulting in death. Her daughter, Ava, died in January 2014. Last year, a new trial for Ritenour was ordered after a judge ruled Ritenour had ineffective counsel. The trial was moved from Mahaska County to Lee County because of publicity. Now the trial has been moved from Lee County to Mount Pleasant and delayed one more month to September 30. Ritenour remains in custody on $300,000 bond after the judge denied a request for reduced bail.
16 Marines arrested in migrant smuggling investigation
By JULIE WATSON
SAN DIEGO (AP) — An investigation into Marines accused of helping smuggle migrants into the United States led to the arrest Thursday of 16 of their fellow Marines at California’s Camp Pendleton, just north of the U.S.-Mexico border.
In a dramatic move aimed at sending a message, authorities made the arrests as the Marines gathered in formation with their battalion.
None of the 16 Marines were involved in helping enforce border security, the Marine Corps said in a news release. They are accused of crimes ranging from migrant smuggling to drug-related offenses.
Officials could not immediately be reached for additional details.
The arrests came weeks after two Marines were arrested by a Border Patrol agent on suspicion of transporting three Mexicans on the promise of money after they crossed illegally into the United States.
The military said the investigation helped authorities identify the 16 Marines arrested at the largest Marine Corps’ base on the West Coast, about 55 miles (90 kilometers) from San Diego’s border with Mexico.
Retired Marine Lt. Col. Gary Barthel called it a “kind of black eye for the Marine Corps” and said it was important the military show criminal behavior will not be tolerated.
“Obviously I think it looks bad whenever you have the military that is helping protect the border and then you’ve got military people smuggling,” said Barthel, an attorney at the Military Law Center in Carlsbad, north of San Diego.
Marines and other U.S. troops were brought in last year to help reinforce the border by installing razor wire on top of existing barriers, among other things. Troops are barred from arresting migrants.
All 16 were junior enlisted Marines. Barthel said smugglers may have targeted young troops who could be vulnerable to being enticed by fast money.
Border Patrol agents over the years have routinely caught migrants in the country illegally walking onto Camp Pendleton or floating in skiffs off the coast nearby. Authorities said the base, cut by Interstate 5 leading to Los Angeles, sits along a well-traversed route used by migrant smugglers.
Officials from 1st Marine Division worked alongside the Naval Criminal Investigative Service in the investigation that started after the July 3 arrests of two Marines, who were charged in federal court with migrant smuggling. Both pleaded not guilty to the charges.
A U.S. Border Patrol agent stopped Lance Cpl. Byron Darnell Law II and Lance Cpl. David Javier Salazar-Quintero about 7 miles (11 kilometers) north of the border after being alerted by other agents that a vehicle similar to theirs was suspected of picking up migrants who came into the country illegally, according to the federal complaint.
Three migrants were found in the backseat of a black BMW driven by Law, investigators say. Both Marines are riflemen assigned to 1st Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division at Camp Pendleton.
Law told the agent that Salazar asked if he was interested in earning $1,000 picking up an “illegal alien.”
Salazar told authorities that Law introduced him to a man who “recruited” him to help smuggle in migrants, according to court documents. Salazar said he had gone out to pick up migrants on four separate occasions but was never paid.
Law and Salazar, who speaks Spanish, went to the border the night of July 2 and received instructions from a Mexican cellphone, court documents say. Law told the agent they picked up a man and dropped him off at a McDonald’s in Del Mar, a beach community north of San Diego, and then returned to the base. They were not paid.
Law said Salazar told him they would be paid if they picked up three migrants on July 3 near the border, according to court documents.
The three migrants told authorities they were from Mexico and agreed to pay $8,000 to be smuggled into the United States.
Marine Corps officials gave no details about how or why the investigation expanded to result in the arrest of 16 others. The Naval Criminal Investigative Service also declined to comment.
An additional eight Marines were being questioned about their involvement in drug offenses as part of a separate investigation.
State baseball begins
The Iowa State High School Baseball tournament begins Friday (7/26) at Principal Park in Des Moines. Pekin will take on top seed Mason City Newman Catholic in a Class 1A semifinal with the first pitch at 1:30.
Meanwhile, when the Class 3A baseball tournament begins this coming Tuesday (7/30), Centerville will be the number six seed and the Big Reds will face Central DeWitt in the quarterfinals at 4:30 Tuesday afternoon.
Hickenlooper campaigns
Former Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper brought his Presidential campaign to the area Thursday (7/25). The Democrat toured Indian Hills Community College in Ottumwa and then held a meet and greet at the Sigourney Café. Hickenlooper is one of the underdogs among the 20-some Democratic hopefuls, but says he’s the best man for the job of President.
“I think it’s still wide open. I think most people are just beginning to pay attention. Colorado got near universal health care, We passed universal background checks for gun safety. We attacked climate change with methane regulations. We’re the one state where we’ve been able to get people together. I feel I’m the one person who has actually done what everyone else is just talking about.”
Hickenlooper also spoke about the need to stop climate change and said President Trump has made America less safe.
Interpreter for Bahena Rivera paid more than $12,000
An interpreter for the man accused of killing Mollie Tibbetts has reportedly been paid more than $12,000 by the State of Iowa. Court documents show that an interpreter for Cristhian Bahena Rivera has worked about 227 hours in Bahena Rivera’s defense. He’s accused of murder in the death of Tibbetts last July. Tibbetts was found dead of multiple stab wounds a month after she disappeared. Bahena Rivera led law enforcement to her body, but claims he blacked out and doesn’t remember what happened. His murder trial begins November 12 in Sioux City.
NEWSLETTER
Stay updated, sign up for our newsletter.
