Ottumwa apartment fire

Ottumwa firefighters say an overloaded electrical circuit in the attic of an apartment building caused a two alarm fire Wednesday night (7/16).  Firefighters were called to a report of smoke coming from the attic of an apartment building at 421 N. Green Street around 10:45pm Wednesday.  When firefighters got to the attic, they found fire and moderate smoke.  It took three hours to extinguish the fire.  All eight units of the apartment house had to be evacuated…and because of fire, smoke and water damage, the apartments are considered uninhabitable.  Damage is estimated at $100,000.


Stay updated, sign up for our newsletter.