On this day in 1976, Reba McEntire made her first recordings for Mercury Records. Upon its release that year, her single “I Don’t Want to Be a One Night Stand” failed to become a major hit on the Billboard country music chart, peaking at #88
TAG SEARCH RESULTS FOR: ""
Nearly 300 DHS employees called back to work
Nearly 300 furloughed Department of Homeland Security employees are being called back to work amid the longest government shutdown in history.
Those federal workers — all from the E-Verify division of US Citizenship and Immigration Services — will be back on the job and the payroll starting Tuesday morning until a deal is reached to fund the parts of the government that are closed.
However, the E-Verify employees won’t be going back to their pre-shutdown jobs for now. Instead, they will be required to take on other responsibilities within Citizenship and Immigration Services. Employees will be assigned to jobs that are fee-funded, according to Citizenship and Immigration Services spokesman Michael Bars.
Employees will receive the same pay rate they did before the shutdown.
Citizenship and Immigration Services and a portion of the Federal Emergency Management Agency make up the majority of the DHS workforce that continued to report to work and to be paid during the shutdown from other than annual appropriations, according to a DHS official.
Trial for man accused of killing girlfriend’s child to start Tuesday in Linn County
The trial for the man accused of killing his girlfriend’s child will be Tuesday in Linn County.
Prosecutors say 31-year-old Cody Stevenson of Williamsburg killed a two-year-old girl back in 2017.
A criminal complaint said Stevenson punched the child “at least 3 or 4 times” in the stomach.
Courts previously delayed Stevenson’s trial. Defense attorneys wanted to move the trial from Iowa County to Linn county due to pre-trial publicity.
If convicted, he faces life in prison without parole.
Wintry mix of snow and freezing rain likely today
A Winter Storm Warning remains in effect for most of the listening area until 6am Wednesday (1/23). In Keokuk County and areas east, the winter storm warning will be in effect until 9am Wednesday. Four to six inches of new snow are expected in the region, along with ice and blowing snow that will make travel very hazardous or impossible. We’re told roads in Mahaska County are ice-covered and slippery and the Jasper County Sheriff’s Office is not recommending travel. If you must travel today and tonight, give yourself extra travel time and carry a winter survival kit in your car or truck. Keep tuned to the No Coast Network for the latest weather updates.
Here are some recent closings to pass along: no evening activities at North Mahaska schools; all Apples of Gold centers are closed and instruction sessions today are cancelled; the Oskaloosa Eagles club is closed today and tonight’s Bingo is cancelled; the Mahaska County extension office is closed; Oskaloosa Senior Center is closed and Mahaska Drug in Oskaloosa will close at 6:00 tonight, but may close earlier depending on the weather.
Country Music Hall of Fame To Launch First Exhibit Of 2019
The Country Music Hall of Fame is announcing its first exhibit of 2019.
“American Currents: The Music of 2018” features noteworthy figures from the previous year.
This year’s exhibit will feature Jason Aldean, Kane Brown, Luke Combs and Miranda Lambert, among several others.
It runs from March 8th through February 8th of next year.
No Oskaloosa Indian sports tonight
The Oskaloosa @ Dallas Center-Grimes girls & boys basketball doubleheader that was cancelled for tonight due to the weather will be made up on Saturday, Feb. 2. It’s an afternoon doubleheader with the girls game at 4pm and the boys at approx. 5:30pm.
Oskaloosa’s other high school games scheduled for today are also casualties of the weather: the wrestling meet at Pleasantville and the boys’ swim meet at Indianola against Knoxville and Marshalltown are both cancelled.
Alabama officer killed in the line of duty
An Alabama police officer has died after being shot on Sunday, according to the Mobile Police Department. Officer Sean Tuder, 30, was shot by a suspect with prior warrants while doing follow up work on an investigation, Police Chief Lawrence Battiste said at a press conference.
The suspect, Marco Perez, 19, was taken into custody, he said. District Attorney Ashley Rich has authorized capital murder charges against Perez.
Battiste told reporters that Tuder had been with the department less than five years. “He was one of those guys that certainly resonates in your mind as somebody that’s a true leader and had a true commitment to doing his best in this community to keep it safe and to be a role model for others,” he said. “He was really just getting into that part of his career where he started having an impact on not just the people in the community but the men and women who work here in this department.”
Battiste asked for the community’s prayers, saying: “Keep Officer Tuder’s family in your prayers; his wife, his mom and dad, and his in-laws because this is going to be a difficult time.”
Tuder is the fifth officer to be gunned down in the line of duty so far in 2019. Seven other officers have been killed on the job, four in firearms-related deaths and three in traffic accidents, according to the National law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund.
In Birmingham, Alabama, Sgt. Wytasha Carter was fatally shot early January 13 while investigating a call about vehicle burglaries, police said. He and another officer had encountered two suspects when one of them pulled out a weapon and fired. The officers and one of the suspects were shot. A second suspect was taken into custody.
January 21: On this day
On this day in 2006, Carrie Underwood was at #1 on the Billboard Country charts for the first of six weeks with “Jesus, Take The Wheel.” Later this year it was reported that “Jesus, Take the Wheel” had sold more than 1 million ringtones.
Ritenour’s new trial starts March 5
A new trial date for Alicia Ritenour. She’s the Oskaloosa woman who is accused of killing her 17-month-old daughter Ava in January 2014. Last month, an Iowa District Court Judge set aside Ritenour’s conviction for first degree murder and child endangerment. Her new trial will start March 5 in Poweshiek County. Ritenour argued she had poor counsel from her attorney. She remains in custody on $500,000 bond.
Another winter storm is coming starting Tuesday morning
More wintry weather is on the way. The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Weather Advisory for southeast Iowa starting at 6am Tuesday (1/22) until midnight. A mix of snow and ice is expected with one to four inches of snow expected, along with a tenth of an inch of ice. The mix of snow, sleet and freezing rain will make travel difficult. Expect slippery roads and travel difficulties. Keep tuned to the No Coast Network for the latest weather information.
NEWSLETTER
Stay updated, sign up for our newsletter.
