TAG SEARCH RESULTS FOR: ""

Attempted murder in Agency

He tried to kill his father.  A man from Agency is in custody after a shooting Monday night (7/9) in Agency.  The Wapello County Sheriff’s Office says it was called around 9:45pm about a man who had been shot and was driving himself to the hospital.  The victim, David Nordyke Junior of Agency, was found at the Jefferson County Hospital Emergency Room and later airlifted to the University of Iowa hospitals in Iowa City.  Sheriff’s Deputies investigated and arrested 36-year-old David Nordyke III of Agency.  He is charged with attempted murder and is being held in the Wapello County Jail.

Body of missing Marshalltown teenager found

RADIO IOWA – The body of an 18 year old Marshalltown woman, missing since Friday, has been found in the Iowa River.

Marshalltown Police Chief Mike Tupper says the body of Jazmin Reyes Raya was found around ten this morning in a remote area just northwest of Marshalltown. “That’s not the outcome we had all hoped for. We had search teams out through the weekend and we doubled down our efforts this morning and…one of our search teams were able to locate Jazmin,” Tupper says.

Chief Tupper says there is no indication of any criminal activity on foul play in Jazmin’s disappearance and death. But Tupper, like everyone else in the community, would like to know what happened to her. “We are curious and we are still investigating to try and piece this all together. It’s answers we may never have though. We’ll do the best that we can to answer all the questions,” according to Tupper.

Raya was reported missing around eight o’clock Friday night. The family told police she was autistic and communicated on a child-like level.

This is the second incident since the first of the year in Marshalltown that a missing young person was found dead. A teen boy, Corey Brown, was discovered in a secluded area of Marshalltown after he left home late one night in January. It was later determined he died from injuries suffered after he climbed, and then fell from a communication tower.

(By Ken Huge, KFJB, Marshalltown)

Rattled resident clean up, officials eye damage after quakes

By JOHN ANTCZAK and CHRISTOPHER WEBER

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Rattled residents cleaned up and officials assessed damage Monday from two of the biggest earthquakes to shake California in decades as scientists warned that both should serve as a wake-up call to be ready when the long-dreaded “Big One” strikes.

It could be several more days before water service is restored to the desert town of Trona, where officials trucked in portable toilets and showers, said San Bernardino County spokesman David Wert.

Ten residences in Trona were red-tagged as uninhabitable and officials expect that number to rise as inspectors complete surveys. Wert said he’s seen homes that shifted 6 feet (nearly 2 meters) off their foundations.

Electricity was restored to Trona over the weekend, allowing people to use much-needed air conditioners as daytime temperatures approached 100 degrees (38 Celsius).

Teams will need several more days to finish assessments in nearby Ridgecrest, where the number of damaged buildings will likely be in the dozens, Kern County spokeswoman Megan Person said.

There were 100 people at Ridgecrest’s main shelter as of Sunday afternoon, Person said. Another 43 evacuees were camped out on a lawn outside, afraid to go indoors. Person says officials are bringing in counselors to help residents still on edge as aftershocks rattle the area.

“You can’t feel every single one, but you can feel a lot of them,” she said. “Those poor people have been dealing with shaking ground non-stop since Thursday.”

A dozen small earthquakes, each more than a magnitude 3, rattled the area overnight, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

They were among about 3,000 aftershocks following the magnitude 6.4 earthquake Thursday and a magnitude 7.1 quake Friday centered near Ridgecrest, about 150 miles (241 kilometers) from Los Angeles.

California is spending more than $16 million to install thousands of quake-detecting sensors statewide that officials say will give utilities and trains precious seconds to shut down before the shaking starts.

Gov. Gavin Newsom said it’s time residents did their part by mapping out emergency escape routes and preparing earthquake kits with food, water, lights and other necessities.

Seismologists said a similar-sized quake in a major city such as San Francisco, Los Angeles or San Diego could collapse bridges, buildings and freeways, as well as spark devastating fires fueled by ruptured gas lines.

___

Associated Press photographer Marcio Jose Sanchez in Ridgecrest and writers John Rogers and Robert Jablon in Los Angeles, Amy Forliti in Minneapolis and Courtney Bonnell in Phoenix contributed to this story.

Thomas murder trial delayed

An Ottumwa woman accused of killing her 5-year-old daughter is having her murder trial pushed back. 23-year-old Kelsie Thomas is charged with first degree murder in the death of 5-year-old Cloe Chandler last July.  Thomas is scheduled to go on trial in Wapello County September 10.  But Assistant Attorney General Scott Brown says his office can’t try the case in September because of staff scheduling issues. Brown has asked that Thomas’ trial be moved to November.  Thomas is still in custody and has been since she was arrested last July.

Kayaking and boating shouldn’t be done after dark

Don’t do it in the dark.  Last Saturday (6/29) , four people were hospitalized after their boat crashed into a river bank in Mahaska County around 10:45pm.  Mahaska County Sheriff Russ Van Renterghem says if you want to go boating or kayaking, do it in the daytime.

“I understand some fishermen, they like to go out and fish and night.  But for recreational boating like canoeing and kayaking, you can’t see anything at night anyway, so we don’t recommend that.”

You’ll remember there was also an incident a week ago north of Oskaloosa when two capsized kayaks were spotted in the early morning hours.  Three of the four kayakers made it safely to shore, while rescue crews searched for the fourth kayaker, who was later found safe.

Aftershocks following Southern California earthquake

By JOHN ANTCZAK and OLGA R. RODRIGUEZ

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The strongest earthquake in 20 years shook a large swath of Southern California and parts of Nevada on the July 4th holiday, rattling nerves and causing injuries and damage in a town near the epicenter, followed by a swarm of ongoing aftershocks.

The 6.4 magnitude quake struck at 10:33 a.m. Thursday in the Mojave Desert, about 150 miles (240 kilometers) northeast of Los Angeles, near the town of Ridgecrest, California.

Multiple injuries and two house fires were reported in the town of 28,000. Emergency crews dealt with small vegetation fires, gas leaks and reports of cracked roads, said Kern County Fire Chief David Witt.

Ridgecrest Mayor Peggy Breeden said that utility workers were assessing broken gas lines and turning off gas where necessary.

A widely felt magnitude 5.4 quake before dawn Friday was the strongest aftershock thus far. Seismologists had said there was an 80 percent probability of an aftershock of that strength within a week.

The local senior center was holding a July 4th event when Thursday’s big quake hit and everyone made it out shaken up but without injuries, she said.

“Oh, my goodness, there’s another one (quake) right now,” Breeden said on live television as an aftershock struck.

Gov. Gavin Newsom declared a state of emergency for Kern County. The declaration means that the state will help the county and municipalities in it with emergency aid and recovery efforts.

Breeden noted at a news conference that other nearby governments have offered to help the recovery effort.

President Donald Trump said he was fully briefed on the earthquake and that it “all seems to be very much under control!”

Police and fire officials said at a news conference Thursday afternoon that they have enough resources so far to meet needs in the wake of the earthquake.

California Highway Patrol Lt. John Williams said officials have found cracks on several roads in the county, but overpasses and underpasses are in good shape.

“It almost gave me a heart attack,” said Cora Burke, a waitress at Midway Cafe in Ridgecrest, of the big jolt. “It’s just a rolling feeling inside the building, inside the cafe and all of a sudden everything started falling off the shelf, glasses, the refrigerator and everything in the small refrigerator fell over.”

Video posted online of a liquor store in Ridgecrest showed the aisles filled with broken wine and liquor bottles, knocked down boxes and other groceries strewn on the floor. Flames were seen shooting out of one home in the community.

Lucy Jones, a seismologist with the California Institute of Technology’s seismology lab, said the earthquake was the strongest since a 7.1 quake struck in the area on October 16, 1999.

“This has been an extremely quiet abnormal time,” Jones said. “This type of earthquake is much more normal … The long term average is probably once every five or 10 years somewhere in Southern California.”

Jones said that the 6.4 quake was preceded by a magnitude 4.2 temblor about a half hour earlier.

The epicenter was in the arid expanse of Searles Valley, a sparsely populated region.

“This is an isolated enough location that that’s going to greatly reduce the damage,” she said.

The quake was detected by California’s new ShakeAlert system and it provided 48 seconds of warning to the seismology lab well before the shaking arrived at Caltech in the Los Angeles suburb of Pasadena but it did not trigger a public warning through an app recently made available in Los Angeles County.

USGS seismologist Robert Graves said the ShakeAlert system worked properly.

Graves said it calculated an intensity level for the Los Angeles area that was below the threshold for a public alert. The limits are intended to avoid false alarms.

Glenn Pomeroy, the head of California’s Earthquake Authority, said the earthquake is “an important reminder that all of California is earthquake country.”

Pomeroy urged the estimated 2,000 people in the region hit by the quake who have California Earthquake Authority insurance policies to contact their residential insurance agencies as soon as possible. Information on how to file a policy claim is on the agency’s website: EarthquakeAuthority.com, he said.

___

Rodriguez reported from San Francisco. Associated Press writer Rachel Lerman in San Francisco and AP Radio reporter Shelly Adler in Washington, D.C., contributed.

Lake Red Rock drowning

A Knoxville man drowned Thursday evening (7/4) at Lake Red Rock.  The Marion County Sheriff’s Office says it was called at 6:12pm Thursday about a man who was swimming outside the designated swimming area at North Overlook Beach and didn’t resurface.  About 20 minutes later, Tyson Te Aundre Marshall of Knoxville was found and taken to shore.  First responders tried to save him, but Marshall died shortly after 7pm at Pella Regional Medical Center.

Work release inmate at large

Wapello County law enforcement is looking for an inmate who was on work release and didn’t come back.  32-year-old Aidan Alan Edward Miller was supposed to return to the Ottumwa Residential Facility on Wednesday (7/3).  He had been convicted of assault while committing a felony and had been staying in the residential facility since May 9.  Miller is a white male, six feet tall, 260 pounds.  If you know, where Aidan Miller is, call the Wapello County Sheriff’s Office.

Sigourney turns 175

Sigourney is celebrating a birthday.  The city turns 175 years old on Friday (7/5), but the celebration is starting Wednesday night (7/3) and will be combined with Independence Day celebrations.  Julie Tremmel, a member of the 175th Anniversary steering committee, talks about the event.

“Sigourney always celebrates the 4th of July, but since it’s our dodransbicentennial–that’s 25 years less than 200–we wanted to make it extra special.  We wanted to have so many events that people couldn’t do them all and they had to choose which ones to do.  This year we have our regular street dance tonight, Friday night we have music with Brass Pear and on Saturday night we’re having Standing Hampton.  They were a big hit at Ragbrai (last summer) and we wanted them back. We have the tractor pull on Thursday night (at the Expo).”

There will also be a kids’ tractor pull, a bags tournament and a poker run this evening.  Thursday, the 4th of July parade starts at 10:30am with fireworks at 9:30pm at the Expo.  Then on Saturday (7/6), there’s a grand reunion at Sigourney High School from 1 to 4pm.

NEWSLETTER

Stay updated, sign up for our newsletter.