TAG SEARCH RESULTS FOR: ""

Israel grants Tlaib West Bank visit on humanitarian grounds

By ISAAC SCHARF

JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel’s interior minister said Friday he has received and granted a request by Democratic Rep. Rashida Tlaib to enter the Israeli-occupied West Bank on humanitarian grounds.

The decision marked the latest sharp reversal over what had been a planned visit by Tlaib and fellow Democrat, Rep. Ilhan Omar, to Jerusalem and the West Bank.

On Thursday, Israel had announced it is barring the two from entry — an unprecedented move targeting members of the U.S. Congress. Israel’s decision came after President Donald Trump said in a tweet it would show “weakness” to allow in the two Muslim members of Congress who have been sharply critical of him and of Israel’s policies toward the Palestinians.

On Friday, Israeli Interior Minister Aryeh Deri announced the latest twist — that Tlaib had requested and been granted permission to enter the West Bank to see relatives, including her 90-year-old grandmother.

Deri’s office published what it said was Tlaib’s written request, on congressional stationary.

In her letter, Tlaib said this would likely be the last chance to see her grandmother and that she would respect any restrictions and “not promote boycotts” during her visit.

Tlaib’s office could not immediately be reached for comment.

Deri’s office said he “decided to allow her entry to Israel and hopes she will stand by her commitment and that the visit will be for humanitarian needs only.”

Tlaib’s apparent pledge to conduct the visit in line with restrictions imposed by Israel was bound to anger Palestinians who had hoped the congressional tour, organized by a Palestinian group, would highlight their plight. Israel captured the West Bank, Gaza Strip and east Jerusalem in the 1967 Mideast war. Palestinians hope to establish an independent state on those lands.

Tlaib and Omar are known as supporters of “boycott, divestment and sanctions,” or BDS, a Palestinian-led global movement. Israel alleges that BDS targets Israel’s very existence, while the movement’s supporters say it is intended as leverage to end more than half a century of Israeli military rule over Palestinians.

The U.S. president was essentially relying on Israel to retaliate against Tlaib and Omar. The two are part of the “squad” of liberal newcomers — all women of color — whom Trump has labeled the face of the Democratic Party as he runs for re-election. Trump’s actions marked a glaring departure from the tradition of American politicians leaving domestic disputes at the water’s edge.

For Israel, the willingness to side so pointedly with Trump marks a deeper foray into America’s bitterly polarized politics and risks its relationship with Congress.

Israel announced the ban Thursday after Trump tweeted that “it would show great weakness” if the two were allowed to visit. Asked later if he had spoken to Netanyahu, he said, “I did talk to people over there,” but he declined to say to whom.

Omar, who became the first Somali-American elected to Congress, denounced the ban on her and Tlaib’s tour as “an affront” and “an insult to democratic values.”

In Israel, Netanyahu said Thursday that his country remains “open to critics and criticism,” except for those who advocate boycotts against it.

Buttigieg speaks in Oskaloosa

It was the largest gathering to see a Presidential candidate in Oskaloosa so far this campaign season. Over a hundred people came to hear South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg make his case for the Democratic Presidential nomination.  Among Buttigieg’s talking points was raising the minimum wage.

“I believe in fairness as a basic American value.  Which is why there ought to be fair wages for everybody and $15 an hour ought to be the beginning, not the end of the conversation.”

During Thursday’s (8/15) speech, Buttigieg also said he’s worried that Democrats would make a mistake in choosing a 2020 candidate to challenge President Donald Trump.

“And the mistake would be to try to hard to play it safe.  See, the problem with playing it safe is…we need to inspire people, too.  And we can’t look like our message is to just turn back the clock and go back to normal.  We are where we are because normal didn’t work.  In our part of the country, normal has failed us for far too long and there’s no going back to normal.”

Buttigieg also spoke Thursday in Fairfield and Ottumwa.

Bahena Rivera hearing delayed

A hearing on whether the alleged confession by the man accused of killing Mollie Tibbetts can be used as evidence has been delayed.  The attorneys for Cristhian Bahena Rivera asked for the delay, saying more time is needed to prepare and receive a new report from an expert witness.  Bahena Rivera is charged with first degree murder in the death of 20-year-old Mollie Tibbetts of Brooklyn in July of last year.  That hearing will now be held October 22 and 23.  Bahena Rivera’s trial is scheduled for November 12 in Sioux City.

Rep. Steve King says rapes, incest helped populate the world

By SCOTT McFETRIDGE

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — U.S. Rep. Steve King on Wednesday defended his call for a ban on all abortions by questioning whether there would be “any population of the world left” if not for births due to rape and incest.

Speaking before a conservative group in the Des Moines suburb of Urbandale, the Iowa congressman reviewed legislation he has sought that would outlaw abortions without exceptions for rape and incest. King justified the lack of exceptions by questioning how many people would be alive if not for those conceived through rapes and incest.

“What if we went back through all the family trees and just pulled those people out that were products of rape and incest? Would there be any population of the world left if we did that?” King asked, according to video of the event, which was covered by The Des Moines Register. “Considering all the wars and all the rape and pillage that’s taken place … I know I can’t certify that I’m not a part of a product of that.”

He added: “It’s not the baby’s fault for the sin of the father, or of the mother.”

A King spokesman didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment from The Associated Press.

The nine-term Republican congressman, who represents a sprawling, largely rural 39-county district, has been criticized repeatedly for comments he’s made over the years, especially on issues related to race and immigration.

Shortly before the November 2018 election, The Washington Post reported that King met in Austria with the far-right Freedom Party, a group with Nazi ties. King said the meeting was with business leaders, including one person from the Freedom Party, but the newspaper stood by its story.

Soon after the election, King was quoted in a New York Times story saying, “White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?” The comments were denounced as racist and led the House to vote 424-1 to rebuke King. Republican leaders also stripped him of his committee assignments.

Although King has usually breezed to victories in the conservative 4th Congressional District, he narrowly won his last election over Democrat J.D. Scholten.

This year, several candidates have said they will challenge King for the Republican nomination, including conservative state Sen. Randy Feenstra. Scholten also recently announced he’d again run for the seat.

After King’s comment Wednesday, Feenstra said in a statement, “I am 100{99cd714f394079a7f0ed2eb1518dd31342ff3ceb5b6c267c3ad8acd5b5a7d66b} pro-life but Steve King’s bizarre comments and behavior diminish our message & damage our cause.”

Scholten also criticized King.

“Yet again, Steve King puts his selfish, hateful ideology above the needs of the people of Iowa’s 4th District. Excusing violence — in any way — is entirely unacceptable,” Scholten said in a statement.

In a tweet, U.S. Rep. Liz Cheney, the No. 3 Republican in House leadership, called King’s comments “appalling and bizarre” and added “it’s time for him to go.”

Several Democratic presidential candidates noted King’s comments and urged people to contribute to Scholten’s campaign.

“You would think it would be pretty easy to come out against rape and incest,” one of the presidential candidates, Pete Buttigieg, said in a statement. “Then again, you’d think it’d be pretty easy to come out against white nationalism.”

Oskaloosa Schools want to build enrollment

The Oskaloosa School Board revealed its priorities for the upcoming school year at Tuesday night’s (8/13) monthly Board meeting.  One of those priorities is to reduce the number of students leaving the Oskaloosa district via open enrollment.  Oskaloosa Superintendent Paula Wright explains how the district will do that.

“We are doing that by addressing our culture and climate and increasing our student achievement and making Oskaloosa an amazing place and making sure that we spread the word about all the amazing things that are happening here in Oskaloosa and letting people know that they’re all welcome here and treated with respect.”

Classes at Oskaloosa High School begin August 26.

VanderBeek fourth in USMTS race

In auto racing, Zack VanderBeek of New Sharon had a productive night Wednesday (8/14) at the US Modified Touring System race in Winston, Missouri.  VanderBeek won a heat race and then finished fourth in the 40 lap feature race.  Thursday night (8/15), the USMTS racers make their first ever appearance in Urbana, Missouri.

Hy-Vee warns of credit breach

If you’ve used your credit or debit card at a Hy-Vee gas pump, drive-through coffee shop or restaurant, your data may have been breached.  Hy-Vee released a statement Wednesday saying the company is aware of a possible breach involving payments only at its gas pumps, restaurants and drive-through coffee shops.  If you have used a credit or debit card to buy groceries or prescriptions, you’re in the clear, because Hy-Vee uses a different point of sale system for its grocery stores, drug stores and convenience stores.  Hy-Vee says you should monitor your debit and bank card statements for any unauthorized charges.

Aaron Blom talks about future plans

Last week, Oskaloosa senior Aaron Blom announced he would walk on at the University of Iowa next fall as a kicker.  Blom talks about his decision.

“I really like the coaching staff and I like the academic programs that they have available.  And it just felt like home, so I figured there was no time to wait.”

Blom says he also had a scholarship offer from Western Illinois, a Division I-AA school.  His 16 career field goals are most in Oskaloosa history…and he also holds the school record for longest field goal—a 50 yarder against Mount Pleasant in 2016.  Blom goes into this season ninth on the Indians’ all-time scoring list with 177 points.  

Flooded Mississippi a threat as hurricane season heats up

By JEFF MARTIN and JANET McCONNAUGHEY

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — The river that drains much of the flood-soaked United States is still running far higher than normal, menacing New Orleans in multiple ways just as the hurricane season intensifies.

For months now, a massive volume of water has been pushing against the levees keeping a city mostly below sea level from being inundated. The Mississippi River has run past New Orleans at more than 11 feet (3.4 meters) above sea level for more than 200 days.

“The big threat is water getting through or underneath,” said Nicholas Pinter, an expert on river dynamics and flood risks who’s studied levee breaches across the nation. “The longer the duration, the greater the threat.”

“That ultimately could undermine the levee as well and cause a breech or a failure,” said Cassandra Rutherford, assistant professor of geotechnical engineering at Iowa State University.

The federal agency that maintains the levees is aware of the risks. But Ricky Boyett, spokesman for the New Orleans office of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, said the corps is confident that South Louisiana river levees are in great condition, with improvements made since 2011.

“If there’s a silver lining going into hurricane season with the river this high for this long, we’re entering the hurricane season having done 200 inspections of the levee since February,” Boyett said.

Inspectors have been checking at least twice a week for parked barges, stuck debris or other potential trouble, such as tire ruts or damage from feral hogs on grassy surfaces. They also look for water seeping through, and for sand boils — spots where water tunneling below a levee seems to bubble out of the ground.

Concrete mats armor underwater areas likely to be eaten away by the river’s current, Boyett said. Sand boils get ringed with sandbags until the water pressure on both sides equalizes, stopping the flow. And because some permanent repairs can’t be made until river levels drop, dangerous seepage gets stopgap coverage: About 63,000 large sandbags have been used since March on one 300-foot-long (91.5-meter-long) seepage area upriver of Baton Rouge, he said.

A Category 4 hurricane striking the Louisiana coastline can produce a 20-foot (6.1-meter) storm surge , the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says. However, that surge’s size at New Orleans, more than 100 winding river miles up from the coast, would be reduced by the Big Muddy’s push seaward.

The levees range in height from 20 to 25 feet (6 to 7.5 meters). While river levels are finally falling, the National Weather Service projects the Mississippi will remain well above average at about 11 feet (3.4 meters) above sea-level at New Orleans this week as hurricane season heats up.

“We really have a heightened concern this year,” said Scott Hagen, of Louisiana State University’s Center for Coastal Resiliency.

For most of the past three decades, the Mississippi has run about 3 to 5 feet (1 to 1.5 meters) high in mid-August at New Orleans’ Carrollton gauge.  The last time it was near this high was 11.4 feet (3.5 meters) in August 2015, a year when no significant tropical weather reached Louisiana’s coast. It was 12.2 feet in 1993, another year Louisiana’s coast escaped harm.

When Katrina formed as a tropical storm in the Bahamas on Aug. 24, 2005, the river stage in New Orleans was just 2.44 feet (0.74 meters) above sea level. It rose to 3.6 feet (1.1 meters) the day before Katrina devastated the city in 2005.

Katrina knocked out an automatic station that would have measured peak surge at the river’s mouth, but an analysis by the Federal Emergency Management Agency indicates the surge reached nearly 28 feet at Pass Christian, Mississippi. Surge pushed the Mississippi River up to 11.6 feet (3.5 meters) at New Orleans — not a threatening height with the river low. But surge from the brackish lakes to the city’s north and east reached 19 feet, overtopping or breaching those levees and flooding 80 percent of the city with water as much as 20 feet deep in places.

The vast majority of the $14.6 billion spent on flood controls as a result of Katrina went not to the river levees, but to shore up and block areas that failed.

“I would assume major problems on the river if we had a high river with a Katrina event,” said Jeffrey Graschel, with the National Weather Service’s Lower Mississippi River Forecast Center.

The possibility of a punishing storm surge meeting a swollen Mississippi in New Orleans is a different threat, one likely to become more common as the planet warms, spawning longer-lasting floods and earlier hurricanes.

Barry was the first hurricane to menace when the river was as high as it was in July, Boyett said.

In 1929, the year construction started on the spillway that caps the river’s height at New Orleans, the Mississippi topped at 19.99 feet (6.1 meters) in June, Boyett said. But that year saw only fiveAtlantic tropical systems, with two hurricanes in the Gulf, National Hurricane Center data show — and both stayed away from Louisiana. NOAA forecasters now expect 10 to 17 named storms this year, including five to nine hurricanes.

Opening spillways upriver from New Orleans can’t fix this, because they were designed to keep water flowing at a manageable rate, not to quickly drop river levels, which could cause mudslides when levees don’t dry out as fast as the water falls, Boyett said.

The changing climate means this problem could become an annual threat.

“Flooding is never a one-time thing. We’re just waiting for the next one,” said Pinter, an associate director of the University of California Davis Center for Watershed Sciences. “Given model predictions for climate change and rising sea levels and suggestions that hurricanes are maybe getting more intense, it’s something we have to keep an eye on.”

___

Martin reported from Atlanta.

One of Heckethorn’s trials delayed

The trial for an Ottumwa man accused of attempted murder has now been pushed back to February.  19-year-old Jacob Heckethorn is accused of shooting 61-year-old Clifford Collett, Senior in the chest in August of last year.  Before that, Heckethorn is scheduled to stand trial for first degree murder in November.  He is accused of killing William Shettlesworth in August of last year.

NEWSLETTER

Stay updated, sign up for our newsletter.