TAG SEARCH RESULTS FOR: ""

DNR hosts annual volunteer day at state parks

BY 

Hundreds of Iowans will be heading to their nearest state park this weekend, not for recreation but to go to work.

The Iowa Department of Natural Resources is holding its annual statewide Volunteer Day on Saturday. Todd Coffelt, chief of the DNR’s State Parks Bureau, says volunteers will be tackling all sorts of chores to help improve their parks.

“It can be as simple as being a part of the litter pick-up on the trail or the shoreline or it can be something in construction, such as the picnic tables or repairing boards that might be loose on the boardwalk,” Coffelt says. “Or, we have a few parks that are going to be getting rid of some invasive species that don’t belong where they are.”

Coffelt says 46 of Iowa’s state parks are taking part in the day-long effort, 34 of them with lakes. Our parks are an incredibly valuable resource, he says, and tax dollars only go so far in maintaining them. “It is that opportunity for folks that have grown up at a park that have a special memory such as a reunion or a wedding or their first fish,” Coffelt says. “They can see things that need to be done but we’re not always able to get everything done by ourselves. This is an opportunity for folks to answer that question ‘I wonder what can I do to help?’”

He says about a thousand people are expected to volunteer statewide this weekend — and there’s plenty of room for more.
“It’s one of those all-inclusive sort of efforts that if it’s something you want to do, bring your gloves and a garbage bag and make it happen,” Coffelt says. “We don’t say ‘no’ to people that want to help.”

Visit the state DNR website and click on the Volunteer Day banner. It’ll take you to a rundown of state parks where each one lists jobs that need to be done, times and contact information.

Oskaloosa’s Foster ranked among nation’s best seniors

There’s another area connections in Street and Smith’s Basketball magazine.  Oskaloosa High center Xavier Foster is ranked the 40th best boys’ high school senior in the country.  The seven foot Foster holds the Indians school records for blocked shots in a career and season….and was a big part of Oskaloosa’s Class 3A State championship last spring.  Foster has yet to announce a decision on where he’ll attend college next fall.

Ottumwa Police arrest one, seek another for series of thefts

Ottumwa Police have one man in custody and are seeking another in connection with a series of thefts. On September 18, Ottumwa Police responded to a report of found property on the city’s south side.  As officers searched the area, they found approximately 24 victims of thefts from automobiles and burglaries from garages.  Later that day, Police searched a residence in the 400 block of South Webster, where they found more stolen property.  On Tuesday, September 24, 29-year-old Nathan Wilson of Ottumwa was arrested on multiple charges and is being held in the Wapello County Jail on $5000 bond. Arrest warrants are also out for 24-year-old Trenton O’Brien of Ottumwa in connection with this investigation.  If you know where Trenton O’Brien is, call Ottumwa Police at 641-683-0661.

Centerville woman convicted of killing her husband

A jury in Monroe County has convicted a Centerville woman of killing her husband, whose body was found in their burned home last year.  Monroe County District Court records say the jury handed up the arson and first-degree murder verdicts Wednesday morning in Albia. 47-year-old Barbara Pasa is scheduled to be sentenced November 15 to life in prison without possibility of parole.  The badly burned body of 50-year-old Tim Pasa was found in a bed on May 5, 2018, and investigators determined the fire at was started intentionally. An autopsy determined his death was related to an injection of an anesthetic, propofol.  Barbara Pasa was a nurse in the surgery department at MercyOne Centerville Medical Center at the time of Tim Pasa’s death.  Investigators say Barbara Pasa had bought a $200,000 life insurance policy on her husband. They also say he’d told family members he believed his wife was poisoning him.

Juul to end product advertising and replace CEO

By MATTHEW PERRONE and MICHELLE CHAPMAN

Juul Labs will no longer promote its e-cigarettes in print, digital and TV advertisements and is replacing its CEO amid an escalating backlash against vaping nationwide.

The nation’s largest e-cigarette maker also pledged Wednesday not to lobby against a sweeping ban on vaping flavors proposed by the Trump administration earlier this month.

Juul announced its CEO, Kevin Burns, will step down and be replaced by a senior executive from Altria, the maker of Marlboro cigarettes. Altria took a 35% stake in Juul in December at a cost of $13 billion.

The shakeup comes amid growing public furor over vaping that has triggered calls for tighter restrictions at the federal and state levels. On Tuesday, Massachusetts proposed banning all vaping products for four months.

Juul and hundreds of smaller e-cigarette companies are fighting for their survival as they face two public health debacles linked to vaping: a mysterious lung illness and rising use of e-cigarettes by teenagers.

Public health officials are investigating hundreds of cases of the breathing ailment but have not yet identified any one product or ingredient. At the same time, underage vaping has reached epidemic levels, according to top government health officials, with more than 1 in 4 high school students using e-cigarettes in the last month.

Also on Wednesday, one month after announcing that they were in merger talks, the tobacco giants Altria and Philip Morris International said they were calling off those discussions.

Juul quickly propelled itself to the top of the e-cigarette market with a combination of high-nicotine pods, dessert and fruit flavors and viral marketing. Today the San Francisco company controls roughly 70% of the U.S. e-cigarette market.

Since 2018 Juul has tried to head off a crackdown with a series of voluntary steps, halting retail stores of several flavors and shutting down its social media presence. But parents, politicians and public health advocates have continued to push for a broader crackdown.

The company now faces multiple investigations from Congress, several federal agencies and state attorneys general.

Earlier this month President Donald Trump said that the federal government will act to ban thousands of flavors used in e-cigarettes in response to a recent surge in underage vaping that has alarmed parents, politicians and health authorities nationwide.

Altria Group Inc. said that K.C. Crosthwaite will become JUUL’s new CEO, replacing Kevin Burns. Crosthwaite served as Altria’s chief growth officer.

Crosthwaite said in a prepared statement that Juul has long focused on providing adult smokers with alternatives, but recognized that there’s currently “unacceptable levels of youth usage and eroding public confidence in our industry.”

“We must strive to work with regulators, policymakers and other stakeholders, and earn the trust of the societies in which we operate. That includes inviting an open dialogue, listening to others and being responsive to their concerns,” he said.

Altria and Philip Morris said last month that they were in discussions to become a single company, more than a decade after splitting into two as lawsuits mounted.

Altria has exclusively sold Marlboro cigarettes and other tobacco brands in the U.S., while Philip Morris has handled international sales.

Philip Morris International Inc. CEO André Calantzopoulos said Wednesday that the companies will instead focus on launching IQOS in the U.S. IQOS is a heat-not-burn cigarette alternative made by Philip Morris.

Shares of both companies rose in early trading, with Philip Morris’ stock jumping almost 7%.

Indians volleyball beats Norwalk, leads Little Hawkeye Conference

For the second time this season, Oskaloosa’s volleyball team has beaten a ranked opponent.  Tuesday night (9/24), the 15th ranked (Class 4A) Indians knocked off 13th ranked Norwalk in five sets at Oskaloosa High School. Norwalk won the first set 25-23, then Osky took the next two 25-18 and 25-23.  Norwalk took the fourth set 25-16 to force a deciding fifth set, which the Indians won 15-9.

Sophomore Faith DeRonde had 19 kills and two blocks for the Indians, with senior Taylor Wills adding 12 kills and senior Jessica Schlesselman eleven.  With the victory, Oskaloosa improves to 10-7 overall and 4-0 in the Little Hawkeye Conference—all alone in first place, after Dallas Center-Grimes defeated Indianola 3-0 Tuesday night.  The Indians are off until next Monday (9/30), when they play at Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont.

Lake Keomah water quality

The Mahaska Soil and Water Conservation District is interested in working with owners and farm operators of land in the Lake Keomah Watershed to improve the lake’s water quality.  If you have land that drains into the lake and would like assistance in evaluating erosion or soil health on your land, call the District office at 641-673-3476…extension 3 and ask for Merlin.

Man pleads guilty to throwing water on Congressman King

BY 

RADIO IOWA – A Colorado man accused of assaulting Republican Congressman Steve King with water in March is pleading guilty to one count of assaulting a member of congress.

Twenty-seven-year-Blake Gibbons has signed a plea agreement, admitting he intentionally “threw a cup of water” on Congressman King. The incident happened at the Mineral City Mill and Grill in Fort Dodge.

Gibbons manages a “Not Your Orphan” YouTube channel and is an advocate for the rights of adopted children. He faces a maximum sentence of “not more than one year” in prison on the assault charge and a maximum 100-thousand dollar fine, according to a news release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Sioux City.

Jury finds Earlville farmer guilty of killing wife with corn rake

BY 

An Earlville farmer was found guilty by a Delaware County jury Monday of killing his wife with a corn rake.

KCRG TV was in the courtroom as the judge read the verdict to 43-year-old Todd Mullis.

“We the jury find the defendant Todd Michael Mullis guilty of murder in the first degree, signed by the foreperson,” the judge read.  Mullis rolled his eyes as the verdict was read.

Prosecutors had argued Mullis was angry about his wife Amy’s affair and that is why he killed her on November 10th of 2018. Mullis says Amy must have fallen on the corn rake — but the medical examiner testified during the trial that the rake had been pushed into Amy Mullis’ body twice and that is why she ruled the death a homicide.

The judge dismissed the jury after reading the verdict. The judge told Mullis he has the right to file for a new trial and says the law does not allow him to be released on bail pending his sentencing.

The judge said he would work with the attorneys to set a sentencing date, where Mullis will face a mandatory life sentence.

NEWSLETTER

Stay updated, sign up for our newsletter.