TAG SEARCH RESULTS FOR: ""

Osky volleyball opens playoffs

Oskaloosa begins play Wednesday night (10/23) in the Class 4A Region 5 volleyball tournament.  The Indians host Carlisle in a 7:00 game.  These teams met on the first day of the season back in August, with the Indians winning two sets to one.  Oskaloosa Coach Jen Comfort says setter Jolie Yang is recovering from an ankle injury and will share those duties with Olivia Gordon.  Comfort talked about Gordon’s play.

“Olivia has done great.  She has done above and beyond what we’ve asked her to do. I’m just really pleased with how well she has played; just melting in with these girls and just executed our game plan.”

Because of our University of Iowa commitments, you can hear Wednesday night’s Oskaloosa/Carlisle playoff game on KMZN AM and FM with coverage at 6:45pm and the first serve at 7.

Also in Class 4A Region 5 Wednesday, Pella hosts Washington.  In 4A Region 4, Newton is at Grinnell.  In Class 5A Region 3, Ottumwa travels to Indianola.  In Class 3A Region 8, Albia hosts Chariton and in 3A Region 7, EBF is at Williamsburg and PCM at Nevada.

Ottumwa School Board ballot is unchanged

No candidates for the Ottumwa School Board in next month’s election will be taken off the ballot.  On Tuesday (10/22), a Wapello County Judge denied a request from Ottumwa attorney Ryan Mitchell.  Mitchell claimed seven of the 15 school board candidates had improperly filled out the paperwork and should be removed from the ballot.  In his ruling, Judge Shawn Showers said if all of the seven candidates lose in the November election, the point is moot.  And if one or more of the seven is elected, then Mitchell still has the chance to prove his case.  The affected candidates are Leisa Walker, Kent Walker, Aaron Luke, Jon Bunt, Krista Tedrow, Robert Wormhoudt, and Sarah Sels.

Jimmy Carter hospitalized after fall at Georgia home

ATLANTA (AP) — Former President Jimmy Carter is in the hospital again after falling and fracturing his pelvis at his home in Plains, Georgia.

Carter Center spokeswoman Deanne Congileo described the fracture as minor in a statement issued Tuesday. She said the 95-year-old is in good spirits at the Phoebe Sumter Medical Center and is looking forward to recovering at home after his fall Monday evening.

This is the third time Carter has fallen in recent months. He first fell in the spring and required hip replacement surgery. Carter fell again this month and despite receiving 14 stitches, traveled the next day to Nashville, Tennessee to rally volunteers and help build a Habitat for Humanity home.

Carter is the oldest living former president in U.S. history. He and 92-year-old Rosalynn recently became the longest married first couple, surpassing George and Barbara Bush, with more than 73 years of marriage.

Man accused of killing Fort Dodge pastor enters plea

BY 

The man accused of murdering a Fort Dodge pastor earlier this month has entered a not guilty plea.

Thirty-six-year-old Joshua Pendleton entered a written plea of not guilty to first-degree murder and first-degree robbery in the death of Reverend Allen Henderson on October 2nd outside St. Paul Lutheran Church in Fort Dodge. Henderson died of injuries after the assault.

Police were able to review surveillance video near the church where Henderson was found and saw a man attempting to enter the building. Pendleton was quickly identified as the suspect and located just blocks from the church. The bond for Pendleton remains at six million dollars.

A pretrial conference to set a trial date for Pendleton is scheduled for December 2nd at 1:00 p.m. in Webster County District Court.

(By Pat Powers, KQWC, Webster City)

Oskaloosa City Council approves new fees for inspections

Monday night (10/21), the Oskaloosa City Council voted to charge fees when the fire department makes some inspections.  The City will now charge $25 for a yearly inspection of a licensed day care, $40 for a yearly inspection for a liquor license and $25 for any follow-up inspection.  Fire department officials say the fees will help them recover part of the cost of conducting an inspection.

Companies reach tentative deal to settle opioids lawsuit

By JULIE CARR SMYTH and GEOFF MULVIHILL

CLEVELAND (AP) — The nation’s three dominant drug distributors and a big drugmaker have reached a tentative deal to settle a lawsuit related to the opioid crisis just as the first federal trial over the crisis was due to begin Monday, according to a lead lawyer for the local governments suing the drug industry.

The tentative deal, details of which were to be announced later Monday, settles claims by state and local governments against distributors AmerisourceBergen, Cardinal Health and McKessen and the manufacturer Teva.

After five drug manufacturers, including Johnson & Johnson, reached settlements leading up to the trial, it became clear that the focus would be largely on the behavior of the distributors. Opening arguments were scheduled to begin Monday in U.S. District Court in Cleveland for the case involving claims bought by the Ohio counties of Cuyahoga and Summit.

The deal was first reported by The Wall Street Journal and was confirmed to The Associated Press by Paul Hanly, a lead lawyer for the local governments suing the drug industry.

The trial was to be a test case for legal issues involved in thousands of lawsuits brought against players in the opioid industry by state and local governments, Native American tribes, hospitals and other entities.

The plaintiffs say distributors failed to uphold a requirement that they stop suspicious orders of controlled substances from being shipped. Federal data released as part of the litigation shows that 76 billion oxycodone and hydrocodone pills were shipped to U.S. pharmacies from 2006 to 2012, with shipments continuing to grow even after the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration warned the drug industry about the increasing misuse of prescription opioids.

An Associated Press analysis found that in 2012, enough of the powerful and addictive painkillers were shipped for every man, woman and child in the U.S. to have nearly a 20-day supply.

The lawsuits also alleged that drugmakers improperly marketed opioids to prescribers, overselling the benefits and understating the risks of a class of drugs that has been known for centuries to be addictive.

The epidemic has become more complicated in the past decade, with fatal overdose numbers rising largely because of illicit drugs such as heroin and fentanyl. Overall, there have been more than 400,000 deaths linked to opioids in the U.S. since 2000.

The settlement efforts until now have been mixed.

Four drugmakers reached deals only with the two Ohio counties — enough to get them out of the first trial, but leaving unresolved the claims from communities across the country.

OxyContin maker Purdue Pharma reached a tentative settlement last month that could be worth up to $12 billion over time. But half the states and hundreds of local governments oppose it. The company is now going through federal bankruptcy proceedings in White Plains, New York, creating the possibility that its settlement offer could be renegotiated.

___

Mulvihill reported from Cherry Hill, New Jersey.

Savage Cobras win eighth in a row

Make it eight straight wins for Sigourney-Keota’s football team.  The Savage Cobras scored a 42-6 victory at Wapello Friday night (10/18) to improve to 8-0 on the year.  JD Stout rushed for 236 yards and three touchdowns, while Sam Sieren ran for 134 yards and two scores.  Stout also threw a touchdown pass to Zeke Webb.  The Savage Cobras host Mediapolis Friday night (10/25) with the district championship on the line.  You can hear that game on KMZN AM and FM.

Some evidence against suspect in Mollie Tibbetts murder to be withheld

Part of the case against a Mexican national charged with first-degree murder in the killing of Mollie Tibbetts appears to be in jeopardy because an officer failed to properly read him his Miranda rights.

Prosecutors have agreed to exclude at trial some statements that 25-year-old Cristhian Bahena Rivera made to police. Court documents prosecutors filed Friday (10/18) acknowledge that the initial Miranda warning given to Rivera around 11:30 p.m. on Aug. 20, 2018, was incomplete because the officer “inadvertently” failed to inform Rivera that anything he said could be used against him in court.  His Miranda rights were accurately read to him a second time at 5:50 a.m. the following day as police were in a cornfield where Tibbetts’ body was found.  Tibbetts disappeared while out for a run July 18, 2018, in Brooklyn. Investigators recovered her body a month later. She had been stabbed to death.  Prosecutors agree in their filings Friday that any statements Rivera made between 11:30 p.m. and 5:50 a.m. should be suppressed but argue they should be able to use those statements to rebut testimony. Defense attorneys for Rivera want the statements fully suppressed.  Rivera is set to appear in Poweshiek County Court Tuesday (10/22), when a judge will decide what evidence will be allowed at his trial.  Rivera’s trial is set to start in February in Sioux City.

Wind advisory Monday night through Tuesday afternoon

Hold on to your hats and anything else you might be carrying.  A Wind Advisory goes into effect at 5pm Monday (10/21) until 4pm Tuesday (10/22) for the No Coast Network listening area.  West winds of 20 to 35 miles an hour with gusts up to 50 miles an hour are expected late Monday afternoon through Tuesday afternoon.  Use extra caution when driving, especially if you’re driving a high profile vehicle.  And make sure outdoor objects are secured.

NEWSLETTER

Stay updated, sign up for our newsletter.